Address: 43 Alexander St.
Closed: c. 2013-14 school year, reopened as a charter school
Original Name: Burnet Street School
The school building opened in 1890, when Vailsburg was not part of Newark. (Originally part of colonial Newark, the Vailsburg area was part of Orange Township when that area broke away from Newark in 1806. From 1895 to 1905 Vailsburg was an independent borough.) The school replaced Vailsburg’s Columbia School, and was named after the street it was on. In 1905 Vailsburg was re-annexed into Newark, and since Newark already had a Burnet Street the street in the Vailsburg section was renamed Alexander Street, as was the school.